It was looking like it might rain, so I went ahead and installed the Queen in her new home.
To ensure that Boadicea‘s new subjects accept her, I am using an indirect method of release into the new hive.
There is a white plug of candy in one of the three circular holes in the Queen cage.
The Queen and her attendants will eat through the candy over the next few days and escape from the cage. This will give her subjects time to get acquainted with her and accept her as their monarch.
I am smearing wax and honey from the hive on the cage so that Boadicea will pick up the scent of the hive.
I am also poking a hole in the candy plug to make it easier for the Queen and her attendants to escape. I’m careful not to stab any bees in the process!
Finally, I added two small nails to hold the cage in place between the brood frames.
Now I am ready to go!
It was great to hear the loud buzzing of the new colony as I removed the top super. The bees seemed interested in the new Queen and quickly surrounded the cage.
I was happy to see that the bees had already made progress in drawing out the empty frames. On one frame I saw the beginnings of a Queen Cell.
Now I will wait a week and check on the progress of the Queen. I’m keeping my fingers crossed!
Tomorrow, the extraction of honey from the old hive!