I love nepeta aka catmint, and this new variety looks like a winner! It’s available from Wayside Gardens.
Bees love catmint, but so do cats. By the end of the summer, all my catmint is cat-shaped in the middle.
According to Wayside Gardens, ‘Purrsian Blue’ is the solution! Apparently, it is “flop-proof”!
Naturally rounded, this fragrant little plant covers itself in bright blue blooms from the first hint of warm summer weather until autumn arrives. The flowers themselves are periwinkle-blue, surrounded by a darker violet calyx. Showy, intensely bright, and so profuse, they really pop in the perennial border or herb garden!
Bees and other pollinators are drawn to ‘Purrsian Blue’ for its nectar, while rabbits, deer, and other nibbling creatures avoid it because of its fragrance. I will definitely be ordering this for my borders!
- New English Garden Bee Plant – Buddleia “Lo And Behold ©” Ice Chip (romancingthebee.com)
- General information about catnip (oldsagegrows.blogspot.com)
- Bee Friendly: A planting guide for European honeybees and Australian native pollinators (milkwood.net)
- Gardening in 2013 (urban-digest.com)
- 5 Colorful Plants for Winter Gardening (colormeplants.wordpress.com)
- Gardening with Laurie: Start seeds indoors for spring planting (victoriaadvocate.com)