Honey, berries, dairy, and grains were important parts of the Iron Age diet.
It is distinctly possible that Queen Boadicea enjoyed something like this Honey Raspberry Crumble, without the ice cream of course.
- 2 pints raspberries
- 3/4 cup honey
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose or whole wheat flour
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. In a large bowl, drizzle raspberries with 1/4 cup of the honey honey. Sprinkle with 4 tablespoons flour and toss. Transfer fruit to an 8- by 8-inch baking dish.
- In a large bowl, mix remaining flour, honey, and butter with a pastry blender or your fingers until mixture forms large, crumbly lumps. Sprinkle over berries. Bake until golden brown, 45 to 50 minutes
- Girl History Month – Boadicea, First Queen Of England (romancingthebee.com)
- Honey Cake (lekach) (romancingthebee.com)
- I Love You, Honey! (thefarmgirlcooks.wordpress.com)