About a decade ago I started beekeeping. I followed the instructions in Beekeeping for Dummies and used wired wax foundation. Everything worked beautifully.
My bees loved the wax foundation. The colony built up quickly. It was easy to extract the honey. So why didn’t I leave well enough alone?
The answer is I’m kind of lazy. Wax frames are very labor intensive. I have to assemble the wooden frames (using a hammer and nails!) and carefully fit the delicate wax inside it without tearing it. Pre-assembled plastic frames are much easier to use.
Last year I noticed that my hive with plastic frames wasn’t building up as quickly as my old hive had. Of course, I blamed it on my bees.
This year was worse! My new bees completely refused to build comb on the plastic frames and built inside the roof top feeders instead!! I spent Tuesday afternoon cleaning burr comb out of the feeders and replacing plastic frames with wax ones…
The good news is that I’m pretty sure my bees are okay, no thanks to me.
I’ve heard that some bees prefer the plastic frames, but not mine. From now on, I’m going to stick with what works. If it isn’t broken, I’m not going to try to fix it!