This dish is affectionately known at my house as “Meat Chili.” It’s been an integral part of every successful diet I’ve ever been on.
In my opinion, it’s close to the perfect diet meal. It’s satisfying, it’s healthy, it’s tasty, it’s even better the next day, and, best of all, when I eat it I don’t feel like I’m dieting!
The most important thing to remember is DON’T ADD BEANS! It won’t be a diet meal anymore.
Yield: 6-8 servings
2 tablespoons canola oil
1 large yellow onion, small diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 red pepper, diced
1 green pepper, diced
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
2 tablespoons chili powder
2 tablespoons cumin
1 teaspoon Mexican oregano
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper or crushed red pepper
1 tablespoon honey
1 pound lean ground beef
1 28 ounce can of whole peeled tomatoes
Shredded cheddar cheese for garnish only
Preheat a 8-quart sauce pan or Dutch Oven over medium-high heat. Saute ground beef, onion, garlic, and peppers in canola oil with salt until beef is browned and vegetables are tender (about 10 minutes). Add spices and cook for 1 more minute. Add honey and canned tomatoes, including juice, and reduce the heat to low. Simmer uncovered for 30 minutes, stirring frequently to prevent sticking and to break up the tomatoes. Adjust seasonings. It may need additional salt.
Serve in soup bowls and top with no more than 2 tablespoons of cheddar cheese for garnish.
- The Romancing The Bee Diet – Day 11 – Pan Roasted Brussels Sprouts With Pine Nuts And Garlic (romancingthebee.com)
- The Romancing The Bee Diet – Day 9 – Salmon Salad With Honey, Capers And Dill (romancingthebee.com)
- The Romancing The Bee Diet – Day 8 – Honey Raspberry Glazed Salmon (romancingthebee.com)
- The Romancing The Bee Diet – Day 10 – Honey Cocoa Meringues (romancingthebee.com)
- The Romancing The Bee Diet – The Essentials (romancingthebee.com)