This is a traditional Kentucky Derby favorite. Enjoy the seasonal abundance of fresh strawberries with this heavenly sauce.
Yield: 6 servings
2 quarts fresh strawberries
· 1 pint sour cream
· ½ cup honey
· 1 tablespoon vanilla
· 1 tablespoon dark rum, brandy or bourbon (bourbon makes a more Kentucky-tasting sauce)
Wash berries. Drain on paper towels. Divide among 6 pretty bowls or plates.
Combine sour cream, honey, vanilla and rum or bourbon. Stir to mix well. Spoon over strawberries and serve.
The bees gave us one of the earliest alcoholic beverages known, mead. Mead predates wine and distilled spirits by many thousands of years.
This recipe is quite different from mead, but satisfying just the same. Vodka may be substituted for whiskey for a lighter tasting drink.
- 1 cup honey
- 1 cup water
- 3 tablespoons chopped, fresh ginger root
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
1 1/2 cups bourbon whiskey (or vodka)
How to make it
- Bring honey and water to boil, boiling for approx. 3 – 5 minutes. Ensure to skim any foam off surface (this is residual beeswax).
- Add ginger and lemon and boil for additional 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stand until just warm, strain out solids with fine seive.
- Transfer liquid to clean dry container and add whiskey or vodka.
- Store in cool, dark place for 4 weeks.